We frequently are asked about the issue of Sabbath and usually for one of the following reasons:
–A 7th Day Adventist is accusing Christians of having the “mark of the beast” for meeting on Sunday.
–A “Messianic Jew” claims that Jewish believers ought to continue Saturday Synagogue and Sabbath law observance.
–A Catholic or one of the various Protestant off-shoots teaches that Sunday is a Sabbath day and applies various rules and regulations to members.
The basic answer to the question of a Saturday Sabbath and our reason for not observing ANY Sabbath is:
1. There is no commandment to keep ANY Sabbath given to the churches in any epistle (this includes any idea of a so-called “Sunday Sabbath”).
2. The apostles only followed Sabbath law for the purpose of reaching Jews in the Synagogue during the transitional period recorded in the Acts. You never find Christians meeting on Sabbath, except for this one purpose of reaching Jews who were still meeting in the Synagogue.
3. The Bible tells us not to allow anyone to condemn us regarding holy days or sabbaths: “Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days.” (Colossians 2:16)
4. Exodus 31:13-17 gives us the exact purpose of the sabbath and it is a matter between God and the Jew under the Covenant of Law. “It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever.” (verse 17)
Cultic Foundation of Sabbath Movements
This idea of Saturday Sabbath was rarely an issue for nearly 1900 years. But in the 19th century, it became an issue largely due to the influence of the cultic “Seventh Day Adventists”. This sect began when William Miller (no relation!) falsely predicted the return of Jesus Christ. After the Lord obviously did not return before or during the Civil War when the false prophecies were made, Miller’s followers remained faithful to “the cause” and formed the new cult in 1863.
One of the 1863 founders was another false prophetess named Ellen G. White who penned what is blasphemously labeled by Adventists as “divinely inspired writings”. She formulated the theology behind this lie about a Christian requirement to keep Saturday Sabbath and the false information about Sunday worship being instituted by Constantine.
This Sabbath cult movement had a profound influence on the founder of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, Charles Taze Russell, and coinncided with an explosion of western cults that has now ballooned to over 30,000 individual groups. The Sabbath cult is made up of a large number who actually accuse those of us who meet on Sunday as having “the mark of the beast”. They falsely claim that Constantine established Sunday worship but this is a blatant lie contradicted by the historical facts.
Constantine established a false Sabbath. That is true. He declared Sunday the new Sabbath. But the error is in his declaration of ANY Sabbath, not the choice of Sunday.
* Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday (Matthew 28:1).
* Jesus first appeared to believers on Sunday (John 20:19)
* Believers during the time of the Acts met on Sunday (Acts 20:7)
* The epistles teach that the early church met on Sunday (1 Corinthians 16:2)
We follow the practice of the apostles of meeting on Sundays. We do not regard it as a “sabbath” and we certainly are not under the Mosaic Sabbath law intended for circumcised Jews prior to the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
I would recommend that you read this 33 page report on the Sabbath cult and share it: SDA Exposed